The actual trip is just the filling in the sandwich. Extend the trip with anticipation and remembering. Planning and getting excited can be alot of fun and both will make the trip easier, more rewarding, and more memorable. The first stage of the trip is the pre-planning that engages your kids and prepares them to be excited. The middle stage is the trip itself – from the plane trip to the museum to the restaurant and back to the hotel for bedtime. The finale happens after you get home – share the trip with friends, keep exploring, and (not to be too trite) make the memories last…
- Our family's Panama Adventures: Thanks to our Spanish Immersion Kids
- 10 Travel Tips for Moms
- Rollin' on the River: Whitewater Rafting with Kids
- Fly, Fly, Away: Twelve Activities to Keep Kids Entertained at Airports
- Our Top 10 Things to Bring on a Trip with Kids at WanderingEducators.com
- Toddlers to Teens: 7 Tips for Family Travel in Europe
- Our story via e-interview with the whole family
- Top 10 Things for Families to Do in Washington State
- Swimming with Sharks at the Pt Defiance Zoo
- Postcard from Rattlesnake Lake on Wandering Educators
- Where does the wind blow through the willows? Hot cocoa, long walks, and more
- Cross-Cultural Fun at Crossroads
- Speed Travel: Twenty Quick Ways to Explore Other Cultures in the Seattle Area
- Skiing in Austria with the Family. What's different than in the US? Our experiences and tips for family ski fun at wesaidgotravel.com
- Postcard from Leavenworth on Wandering Educators
BEST TRAVEL PACK EVER
Search Family on the Loose
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.
Like us on Facebook to get neat stories about traveling with kids from other writers, fun photos, travel tips, "Where in the world is this?" pix, and links to our posts on other blogs
We're on Instagram! Just follow "familyontheloose"