We’ve enjoyed a day in Japan, an overnight trip to China, and an Austrian feast … all without leaving home. But, there is a whole continent that I haven’t explored with my kids at all – either in reality or in spirit. Sadly, I don’t see a plane ticket, a safari, and three weeks off of work in my future. So, this winter break, we’re trying to find Africa in our own backyard. We’re searching for movies, music, and local expeditions that can help us learn about, connect to, and get excited about Africa. According to “If the World were a Village” by David Smith, 14% of the world’s population lives in Africa. It’s amazing how little we know.
- 10 Travel Tips for Moms
- See your own city through the eyes of a tourist
- World's Cheapest Travel Destinations – A Book Review
- Visiting India the Virtual Way on MulticuturalKidBlogs
- Postcard from Rattlesnake Lake on Wandering Educators
- Our Adventures Traveling with Kids in Tacoma WA! On WanderingEducators.com
- Globetrotting the Northwest: Fall Cross-cultural Excursions – in print and on ParentMap.com
- Postcard from Leavenworth on Wandering Educators
- Our recent ideas for making travel journaling fun at Uncommonchildhood.com. Math, poetry, and more
- Making ice cream educational in Boston's North End – Gelato and science
- Where does the wind blow through the willows? Hot cocoa, long walks, and more
- Our Top 10 Things to Bring on a Trip with Kids at WanderingEducators.com
- Local Seattle Getaways on Technorati
- Cross-cultural Staycations
- Our story via e-interview with the whole family
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
The book has received terrific reviews on travel blogs, parenting blogs, Amazon and GoodReads. Book description, preview pages, review quotations, and links to full reviews are available on the book page of this site.
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.
Like us on Facebook to get neat stories about traveling with kids from other writers, fun photos, travel tips, "Where in the world is this?" pix, and links to our posts on other blogs