We’ve enjoyed a day in Japan, an overnight trip to China, and an Austrian feast … all without leaving home. But, there is a whole continent that I haven’t explored with my kids at all – either in reality or in spirit. Sadly, I don’t see a plane ticket, a safari, and three weeks off of work in my future. So, this winter break, we’re trying to find Africa in our own backyard. We’re searching for movies, music, and local expeditions that can help us learn about, connect to, and get excited about Africa. According to “If the World were a Village” by David Smith, 14% of the world’s population lives in Africa. It’s amazing how little we know.
- Making ice cream educational in Boston's North End – Gelato and science
- Postcard from Rattlesnake Lake on Wandering Educators
- Toddlers to Teens: 7 Tips for Family Travel in Europe
- Cross-cultural Staycations
- Speed Travel: Twenty Quick Ways to Explore Other Cultures in the Seattle Area
- Our family's Panama Adventures: Thanks to our Spanish Immersion Kids
- Fly, Fly, Away: Twelve Activities to Keep Kids Entertained at Airports
- See your own city through the eyes of a tourist
- World's Cheapest Travel Destinations – A Book Review
- Top 10 Things for Families to Do in Washington State
- Our Top 10 Things to Bring on a Trip with Kids at WanderingEducators.com
- Teaching Kids About Religion by Traveling Around the World or Around the Block
- Best Gift Experiences from A to Z
- Swimming with Sharks at the Pt Defiance Zoo
- Globetrotting the Northwest: Fall Cross-cultural Excursions – in print and on ParentMap.com
Search Family on the Loose
We're on Instagram! Just follow "familyontheloose"
BEST TRAVEL PACK EVER
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.
Like us on Facebook to get neat stories about traveling with kids from other writers, fun photos, travel tips, "Where in the world is this?" pix, and links to our posts on other blogs