We’ve enjoyed a day in Japan, an overnight trip to China, and an Austrian feast … all without leaving home. But, there is a whole continent that I haven’t explored with my kids at all – either in reality or in spirit. Sadly, I don’t see a plane ticket, a safari, and three weeks off of work in my future. So, this winter break, we’re trying to find Africa in our own backyard. We’re searching for movies, music, and local expeditions that can help us learn about, connect to, and get excited about Africa. According to “If the World were a Village” by David Smith, 14% of the world’s population lives in Africa. It’s amazing how little we know.
- Postcard from Leavenworth on Wandering Educators
- Our Adventures Traveling with Kids in Tacoma WA! On WanderingEducators.com
- See your own city through the eyes of a tourist
- Visiting India the Virtual Way on MulticuturalKidBlogs
- Our Top 10 Things to Bring on a Trip with Kids at WanderingEducators.com
- Making ice cream educational in Boston's North End – Gelato and science
- Local Seattle Getaways on Technorati
- Skiing in Austria with the Family. What's different than in the US? Our experiences and tips for family ski fun at wesaidgotravel.com
- Globetrotting the Northwest: Fall Cross-cultural Excursions – in print and on ParentMap.com
- Cross-cultural Staycations
- 10 Travel Tips for Moms
- Where does the wind blow through the willows? Hot cocoa, long walks, and more
- Postcard from Rattlesnake Lake on Wandering Educators
- Our story via e-interview with the whole family
- World's Cheapest Travel Destinations – A Book Review
BEST TRAVEL PACK EVER
Search Family on the Loose
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.
Like us on Facebook to get neat stories about traveling with kids from other writers, fun photos, travel tips, "Where in the world is this?" pix, and links to our posts on other blogs
We're on Instagram! Just follow "familyontheloose"