Here’s a great keepsake for your kids! It’s free, fun, educational, and functional. Find a decent map of whatever city you happen to be visiting and give your son or daughter a highlighter and a pen. At each destination, highlight the route that you’ve just completed, mark and annotate where you are and what you see. Want to make a really cool map? You’ll have to be willing to walk a long way! Keep the maps from various cities as a reminder of where you traveled, what you saw, and what your kids enjoyed most.
- 10 Travel Tips for Moms
- Globetrotting the Northwest: Fall Cross-cultural Excursions – in print and on ParentMap.com
- Local Seattle Getaways on Technorati
- Postcard from Rattlesnake Lake on Wandering Educators
- See your own city through the eyes of a tourist
- Making ice cream educational in Boston's North End – Gelato and science
- Our story via e-interview with the whole family
- Cross-cultural Staycations
- Visiting India the Virtual Way on MulticuturalKidBlogs
- Skiing in Austria with the Family. What's different than in the US? Our experiences and tips for family ski fun at wesaidgotravel.com
- World's Cheapest Travel Destinations – A Book Review
- Our recent ideas for making travel journaling fun at Uncommonchildhood.com. Math, poetry, and more
- Our Adventures Traveling with Kids in Tacoma WA! On WanderingEducators.com
- Where does the wind blow through the willows? Hot cocoa, long walks, and more
- Our Top 10 Things to Bring on a Trip with Kids at WanderingEducators.com
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
The book has received terrific reviews on travel blogs, parenting blogs, Amazon and GoodReads. Book description, preview pages, review quotations, and links to full reviews are available on the book page of this site.
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.