The first time we really noticed culture on-board was on a flight from the USA to Austria via Austrian Airlines. Instead of waiting 9 hours to arrive in a new country, we stepped instantly from Washington DC into Austria as we boarded the plane. The Austria-red outfits (including somewhat shockingly red nylons), the classical music, and the Austrian-German accents put us instantly in a traveling state of mind. They served Ottakringer beer, a delicious light beer made at a Viennese brewery, and Almdudler, something like Ginger Ale and known informally as the national drink of Austria. We were in the air, but we were in Austria too. I don’t remember that they served Wiener schnitzel but they just might on some special flights. Read more
- Top 10 Things for Families to Do in Washington State
- Our Top 10 Things to Bring on a Trip with Kids at WanderingEducators.com
- Swimming with Sharks at the Pt Defiance Zoo
- Postcard from Leavenworth on Wandering Educators
- Postcard from Rattlesnake Lake on Wandering Educators
- Rollin' on the River: Whitewater Rafting with Kids
- Skiing in Austria with the Family. What's different than in the US? Our experiences and tips for family ski fun at wesaidgotravel.com
- Cross-cultural Staycations
- Best Gift Experiences from A to Z
- Our family's Panama Adventures: Thanks to our Spanish Immersion Kids
- Visiting India the Virtual Way on MulticuturalKidBlogs
- Cross-Cultural Fun at Crossroads
- 10 Travel Tips for Moms
- Making ice cream educational in Boston's North End – Gelato and science
- Our Adventures Traveling with Kids in Tacoma WA! On WanderingEducators.com
Search Family on the Loose
We're on Instagram! Just follow "familyontheloose"
BEST TRAVEL PACK EVER
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.
Like us on Facebook to get neat stories about traveling with kids from other writers, fun photos, travel tips, "Where in the world is this?" pix, and links to our posts on other blogs