OK, ok, OK …they are expensive and seem silly but I love them. They decrease the volume (but, sadly, not the weight) and they keep everything organized. When the kids were little, each kid got one small “cube” and they stuffed in all their shirts, PJs, underwear, pants. What didn’t fit in the little cube, didn’t go. At each stop, they got their cube and returned their cube … they were proud and independent. We had one less hassle. Buy them at stores like REI, travel stores, luggage stores, or on-line. (Yes, you can buy these too at Amazon).
- Postcard from Leavenworth on Wandering Educators
- Our story via e-interview with the whole family
- Local Seattle Getaways on Technorati
- See your own city through the eyes of a tourist
- Where does the wind blow through the willows? Hot cocoa, long walks, and more
- Our recent ideas for making travel journaling fun at Uncommonchildhood.com. Math, poetry, and more
- Making ice cream educational in Boston's North End – Gelato and science
- Postcard from Rattlesnake Lake on Wandering Educators
- Globetrotting the Northwest: Fall Cross-cultural Excursions – in print and on ParentMap.com
- Our Top 10 Things to Bring on a Trip with Kids at WanderingEducators.com
- Cross-cultural Staycations
- Visiting India the Virtual Way on MulticuturalKidBlogs
- World's Cheapest Travel Destinations – A Book Review
- Skiing in Austria with the Family. What's different than in the US? Our experiences and tips for family ski fun at wesaidgotravel.com
- Our Adventures Traveling with Kids in Tacoma WA! On WanderingEducators.com
BEST TRAVEL PACK EVER
Search Family on the Loose
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.
Like us on Facebook to get neat stories about traveling with kids from other writers, fun photos, travel tips, "Where in the world is this?" pix, and links to our posts on other blogs
We're on Instagram! Just follow "familyontheloose"