OK, ok, OK …they are expensive and seem silly but I love them. They decrease the volume (but, sadly, not the weight) and they keep everything organized. When the kids were little, each kid got one small “cube” and they stuffed in all their shirts, PJs, underwear, pants. What didn’t fit in the little cube, didn’t go. At each stop, they got their cube and returned their cube … they were proud and independent. We had one less hassle. Buy them at stores like REI, travel stores, luggage stores, or on-line. (Yes, you can buy these too at Amazon).
- Postcard from Leavenworth on Wandering Educators
- Our Top 10 Things to Bring on a Trip with Kids at WanderingEducators.com
- Rollin' on the River: Whitewater Rafting with Kids
- Our Adventures Traveling with Kids in Tacoma WA! On WanderingEducators.com
- Cross-Cultural Fun at Crossroads
- Our story via e-interview with the whole family
- Skiing in Austria with the Family. What's different than in the US? Our experiences and tips for family ski fun at wesaidgotravel.com
- Best Gift Experiences from A to Z
- 10 Travel Tips for Moms
- Our family's Panama Adventures: Thanks to our Spanish Immersion Kids
- Fly, Fly, Away: Twelve Activities to Keep Kids Entertained at Airports
- See your own city through the eyes of a tourist
- Speed Travel: Twenty Quick Ways to Explore Other Cultures in the Seattle Area
- Making ice cream educational in Boston's North End – Gelato and science
- Where does the wind blow through the willows? Hot cocoa, long walks, and more
Search Family on the Loose
We're on Instagram! Just follow "familyontheloose"
BEST TRAVEL PACK EVER
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.
Like us on Facebook to get neat stories about traveling with kids from other writers, fun photos, travel tips, "Where in the world is this?" pix, and links to our posts on other blogs