Here’s a great keepsake for your kids! It’s free, fun, educational, and functional. Find a decent map of whatever city you happen to be visiting and give your son or daughter a highlighter and a pen. At each destination, highlight the route that you’ve just completed, mark and annotate where you are and what you see. Want to make a really cool map? You’ll have to be willing to walk a long way! Keep the maps from various cities as a reminder of where you traveled, what you saw, and what your kids enjoyed most.
- World's Cheapest Travel Destinations – A Book Review
- Visiting India the Virtual Way on MulticuturalKidBlogs
- Cross-Cultural Fun at Crossroads
- 10 Travel Tips for Moms
- Postcard from Leavenworth on Wandering Educators
- Fly, Fly, Away: Twelve Activities to Keep Kids Entertained at Airports
- Rollin' on the River: Whitewater Rafting with Kids
- Toddlers to Teens: 7 Tips for Family Travel in Europe
- Cross-cultural Staycations
- Our story via e-interview with the whole family
- Globetrotting the Northwest: Fall Cross-cultural Excursions – in print and on ParentMap.com
- Making ice cream educational in Boston's North End – Gelato and science
- Skiing in Austria with the Family. What's different than in the US? Our experiences and tips for family ski fun at wesaidgotravel.com
- Our Adventures Traveling with Kids in Tacoma WA! On WanderingEducators.com
- See your own city through the eyes of a tourist
BEST TRAVEL PACK EVER
Search Family on the Loose
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.
Like us on Facebook to get neat stories about traveling with kids from other writers, fun photos, travel tips, "Where in the world is this?" pix, and links to our posts on other blogs
We're on Instagram! Just follow "familyontheloose"