Here’s a great keepsake for your kids! It’s free, fun, educational, and functional. Find a decent map of whatever city you happen to be visiting and give your son or daughter a highlighter and a pen. At each destination, highlight the route that you’ve just completed, mark and annotate where you are and what you see. Want to make a really cool map? You’ll have to be willing to walk a long way! Keep the maps from various cities as a reminder of where you traveled, what you saw, and what your kids enjoyed most.
- Best Gift Experiences from A to Z
- Making ice cream educational in Boston's North End – Gelato and science
- Teaching Kids About Religion by Traveling Around the World or Around the Block
- Speed Travel: Twenty Quick Ways to Explore Other Cultures in the Seattle Area
- World's Cheapest Travel Destinations – A Book Review
- Top 10 Things for Families to Do in Washington State
- Our Adventures Traveling with Kids in Tacoma WA! On WanderingEducators.com
- Postcard from Leavenworth on Wandering Educators
- Swimming with Sharks at the Pt Defiance Zoo
- See your own city through the eyes of a tourist
- Globetrotting the Northwest: Fall Cross-cultural Excursions – in print and on ParentMap.com
- Fly, Fly, Away: Twelve Activities to Keep Kids Entertained at Airports
- Skiing in Austria with the Family. What's different than in the US? Our experiences and tips for family ski fun at wesaidgotravel.com
- 10 Travel Tips for Moms
- Toddlers to Teens: 7 Tips for Family Travel in Europe
Search Family on the Loose
We're on Instagram! Just follow "familyontheloose"
BEST TRAVEL PACK EVER
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.
Like us on Facebook to get neat stories about traveling with kids from other writers, fun photos, travel tips, "Where in the world is this?" pix, and links to our posts on other blogs