Things are different in Austria. This is why we came of course. If things weren’t different, we’d be wasting a whole lot of energy on this trip. First off, I should be very clear that Austria is not Germany. They are pretty particular on this point. Austrians ruled the world (or at least a big chuck of it) for 800 years and they did it relatively peacefully. The collective consciousness is calm and independent. Maybe they are calm because of the wind that never stops blowing (my own personal theory) and independent because they have had 5 different governments over the past 90 years (and only the very independent can survive the school system). Whatever the reasons, they have been amazingly successful within the EU and are certainly benefiting from the lifting of the iron curtain. Trams wait for pedestrians to cross in front. Drivers are prepared to stop for Read more
- Our Adventures Traveling with Kids in Tacoma WA! On WanderingEducators.com
- World's Cheapest Travel Destinations – A Book Review
- Our recent ideas for making travel journaling fun at Uncommonchildhood.com. Math, poetry, and more …
- Our story via e-interview with the whole family
- Postcard from Leavenworth on Wandering Educators
- Local Seattle Getaways on Technorati
- Postcard from Rattlesnake Lake on Wandering Educators
- Skiing in Austria with the Family. What's different than in the US? Our experiences and tips for family ski fun at wesaidgotravel.com
- Our Top 10 Things to Bring on a Trip with Kids at WanderingEducators.com
- Where does the wind blow through the willows? Hot cocoa, long walks, and more …
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
The book has received terrific reviews on travel blogs, parenting blogs, Amazon and GoodReads. Book description, preview pages, review quotations, and links to full reviews are available on the book page of this site.
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.