As our own children transition from infants to kids to teens, we are becoming more and more interested in the teen perspective on travel. What are the best ways to prepare for a trip and what kinds of experiences are most memorable? A great example of a teen trip well taken is our friend Fiona’s recent adventure in South Africa. Fiona is 13 and, while she was traveling, she wrote a fabulous blog about her adventures. We enjoyed reading all about her trip so, when we caught up with her over the holidays, we asked her some questions about her trip, about how much she had prepared, and about what she learned and enjoyed most. Read more
- Fly, Fly, Away: Twelve Activities to Keep Kids Entertained at Airports
- Toddlers to Teens: 7 Tips for Family Travel in Europe
- Making ice cream educational in Boston's North End – Gelato and science
- Our story via e-interview with the whole family
- Cross-Cultural Fun at Crossroads
- See your own city through the eyes of a tourist
- Postcard from Rattlesnake Lake on Wandering Educators
- Globetrotting the Northwest: Fall Cross-cultural Excursions – in print and on ParentMap.com
- Our Adventures Traveling with Kids in Tacoma WA! On WanderingEducators.com
- Cross-cultural Staycations
- Swimming with Sharks at the Pt Defiance Zoo
- Our family's Panama Adventures: Thanks to our Spanish Immersion Kids
- Postcard from Leavenworth on Wandering Educators
- Top 10 Things for Families to Do in Washington State
- Teaching Kids About Religion by Traveling Around the World or Around the Block
Search Family on the Loose
We're on Instagram! Just follow "familyontheloose"
BEST TRAVEL PACK EVER
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.
Like us on Facebook to get neat stories about traveling with kids from other writers, fun photos, travel tips, "Where in the world is this?" pix, and links to our posts on other blogs