We recently visited a friend’s one-room, log cabin. The cabin was built by her great grandfather and has been in her family ever since. Her great grandfather rode out by horse to buy the property, which borders a national park. There is a waterfall out the window, a book of family history on the shelf, a canvas backpack used by relatives on the wall, and a stuffed elk named “Mr. Moose.” The curtains were sewn by her mother and the big rock fireplace was an addition from her grandfather. Read more
- World's Cheapest Travel Destinations – A Book Review
- Postcard from Rattlesnake Lake on Wandering Educators
- Globetrotting the Northwest: Fall Cross-cultural Excursions – in print and on ParentMap.com
- Making ice cream educational in Boston's North End – Gelato and science
- Postcard from Leavenworth on Wandering Educators
- Our story via e-interview with the whole family
- Skiing in Austria with the Family. What's different than in the US? Our experiences and tips for family ski fun at wesaidgotravel.com
- Our Top 10 Things to Bring on a Trip with Kids at WanderingEducators.com
- Cross-cultural Staycations
- See your own city through the eyes of a tourist
- Local Seattle Getaways on Technorati
- 10 Travel Tips for Moms
- Our recent ideas for making travel journaling fun at Uncommonchildhood.com. Math, poetry, and more
- Visiting India the Virtual Way on MulticuturalKidBlogs
- Our Adventures Traveling with Kids in Tacoma WA! On WanderingEducators.com
Bill Richards and Ashley Steel are the authors of "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids", from Rumble Books. The book is packed with bulleted lists of travel tips, fill-in pages for packing and journaling, ideas for inflight entertainment, strategies for browsing museums with kids, and much more. It is unlike other family travel books in that it is not about where to go. "Family on the Loose: The Art of Traveling with Kids" details how to make any family trip smarter and more fun!
The book has received terrific reviews on travel blogs, parenting blogs, Amazon and GoodReads. Book description, preview pages, review quotations, and links to full reviews are available on the book page of this site.
Bill and Ashley have two wonderful and well-traveled daughters. As a family, they’ve visited or lived in the USA, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Slovakia, England, Hungary, Slovenia, Denmark, The Netherlands, and The Czech Republic. They've traveled by discount airline, overnight train, crowded bus, rental car, and camper van. They’ve slept in fancy hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, with friends or family, and in rented apartments. They have all carried backpacks, squeezed into one family backpack, rolled suitcases, and even traveled without so much as a toothbrush.